Friday, July 1, 2011

colour palette : beach debris...

colour palette : beach debris...

Ah it's almost the weekend, not long to go now... But first let's round off what has been a very 'beachy' themed week with a suitably 'beachy' themed colour palette, shall we... !?

Anyone who loves to walk along the beach is almost definitely an avid collector of all the tiny treasures that can be found amongst the sand and stones. Of course I am no exception and regularly come home with pockets full of sea glass, pretty shells and beach pottery. There is just something so luring about the possibility of finding a piece of a pretty patterned tile or plate and wondering about it's 'story'... such as where it could have come from, how old it could be and how it could have got there in the first place!?
These wee treasures also have the most tactile quality, I love to run my fingertips across a shell to feel it's soft ridged texture. But I do think the glass and pottery is the best, especially if it has been sitting under the warm sun just before you pick it up... I love that warmth combined with their smoothness and can't help but roll them over and over in my hands... :)
Of course there are all the beautiful and sometimes unexpected colours to drool over too. Amongst all the washed out and sun bleached shades you occasionally find bright olive greens, aqua, yellow and the most beautiful shades of peach and pink... so pretty!
I found this wee collection on our walk last Sunday. A pretty nifty haul of mostly glass tile and glazed pottery with a typical clam shell and a beautiful grey stone filled with white quartz chips. As I was gathering them up I knew they were a very pretty colour palette just waiting to happen... :)

Oh, and if you too love all things inspired by beach treasures you should check out the work a very lovely lady and my virtual friend, Kirsty Elson. She makes the most beautiful driftwood sculptures that she sells in her lovely Folksy shop. If you picked up the latest issue of Making magazine you will be able to read a wee article with this lovely lady and find out how much she loves the beach too... :)

Now I am off to start my weekend, keeping my fingers firmly crossed in the hope that it will stay summery round these parts... :)
I do hope you all have a wonderful one,
Emma, x

No comments:

Post a Comment