Monday, November 22, 2010

Notation for solving equations

I just found this via Math Teachers at Play...

 Carolin's Notation for Solving Equations

Carolin is a student from Germany. I just wanted to note that that is exactly how I was taught (in Finland) to note what is done to each side of the equation, and I really like the notation. I don't know if it's used in all Europe...

Basically, you note in "the right side margin" what you're going to do to both sides of the equation in your next step. The "margin" is made by writing a vertical line to the far right of your actual equation solving process.


6x - 5 = 2x | -2x

4x - 5 = 0 | +5

4x = 5 | ÷4

x = 5/4

I just wanted to pass this on in case some of you who are teaching how to solve equations find it useful with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment