Thursday, November 19, 2009

Brendan Halyday Feature

Brendan Halyday
Artist / Illustrator
Melbourne Australia

I want to share a bit of an insight into the talented (and way awesome) Melbourne artist Brendan Halyday.

An illustrator/designer living in Melbourne, Australia, Brendan has worked in the industry since 2002, illustrating childrens books, educational and chapter books, posters, comics and more for both children and adults, working on original and licenced properties. Prior to working as an illustrator, he worked as a designer and continues to do so on a project by project basis.  He's a man of many talents!

I first found Brendan's work on Etsy. I think I was cruising for comics and zines....

So, there I was going through check out, and here I am some many months later writing about how great he is.  I love his sense of style, humour, honesty, and personal approach to his work.  I also have to say that getting packages in the mail from Brendan is like getting a present. Even the envelope looks amazing!

In a recent email exchange, Brendan filled me in a little on what he's been up to, what's happening, and future plans. He has also (quite excitedly) just completed his Diploma in Illustration.

"I have recently finished a new collaborative zine called the garbage truck failures with James Andre, it has an awesome cover by Bobby N too. I also have a small zine called The Funnies that I did earlier in the year. I have illustrated a couple of comics for other writers this year, including a three page story for the Tango anthology published by Cardigan Comics, and a 10 page story that was recently published in the anthology Kagemono: Tooth and Claw. At the moment I am working on 3 projects (i like to work on multiple projects concurrently, so if I ever get bored or hit a mental block with one I can just switch to another. I find working that way always keeps me fresh too).

The first project I am working on is sketchbook four, and I am working really hard to get this finished asap. The drawing is pretty much done, it's just the writing that is holding me up with this one. I am writing about some pretty personal stuff and have been struggling to express myself the way I want too. I'm also working on a comic anthology that will be about 32 pages in colour. It's about half finished, I hope to finish it this year. I'm also working on a small little kids book, hope to get it done in the next month but we'll see.  All these are projects that have been in the work for a while and are slowly moving towards completion. I have another couple of projects that I've agreed to do but havent really started yet, but hopefully soon..."
Below are examples of some of Brendan's work. You can purchase some of these delights here :)






















Check out Brendan at these locations!
Brendan's  website, shop, & blog

Thanks heaps Brendan - you're a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment