Monday, September 27, 2010

Kitchen cabinets and other going-ons...

I am trying. Like really trying but I can't seem to give my money away.  It started with my appointment with Lowes.  I told Ben, my kitchen designer, that I was not crazy about Kraftmaid cabinets. The price is a little high and the finish for what I want is not great.  So, what does Ben price out for me? Kraftmaid.  When I ask him to re-do the quote, I received a half-ass attempt of re-working my design and quote.  He also would not help me with appliances.  So, I left frustrated, rushed and without a firm quote.

So next up is Home Depot.  I call my nearest Home Depot to make an appointment with a kitchen designer and I am told by the person answering the phone that they can't make me an appointment.  I was like, "What?"  I just want to make an appointment...for you know, a future date, to design my kitchen and spend my money.  He told me that the kitchen designer was not in today and he did not know when he would return or how to make an appointment. Really?  So, I tweeted Home Depot, got a response to the effect that they were sorry and would make the appointment for me. I never heard another word.

Ok, 0-2.  Next up is Best Buy. I thought that surely with all the advertising dollars being spent by Best Buy to describe their stellar appliance knowledge and customer service, that I would at least be able to get my appliances ordered. That was a huge debacle.  Let's just say that the kid working in cameras who covers appliances doesn't know squat.

This leaves me with Ikea.  Not because I want to save money but because I am better off just doing this myself. I am so sick of people. Here is what I have designed on the Ikea web site.

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Kitchen BEFORE (just a reminder):

IMG_1315

IMG_1316

IMG_1318


I've also hired a guy to strip off this grass paper (that is glued directly to the drywall paper) and re-float the walls.
IMG_1307

This guy is also going to frame us in a smaller doorway (into the office) because I am going to take the front door, re-finish it and hang it barn-door style.  So, hopefully the front door guys show up Monday morning to measure for my new front door.  I have also decided to take down the front door bars.

Barn door example.
7-fulk-doors-0708-xlg-39720244

This is what I want for my front door, minus the overhead transom.
H&G Aust 2

All in all, lots going on but not a lot happening yet. I am trying to be patient :)

XOXO-




No comments:

Post a Comment