Monday, August 23, 2010

Favorite Tools

By popular request, I've made a small list of favorite tools I use for making toys and crafts.  Also, to the right, I've added a small image on my sidebar.  Click it to get back to this post whenever you'd like.














SAW:
First off, I use a scroll saw for almost all of my wooden toys.  They're great for cutting out small shapes, and I love the built in circular sander.  I have a very old one.  You can often find them used for very little money.  I actually had one in my bedroom when I was 9 years old.  What a nice mother I have!  And she still has some of the toys I made with it!

WOOD FINISH:
The wood finish I use is a food grade beeswax polish by Three BEEautiful Bees.  Just rub it on with your fingers.  Great for your skin, and wooden toys!  You can buy it here, and many other places.

PAINT:
To paint my kids toys I use Acrylic paints by A2 Chroma.  They're nice paints, non-toxic, and very affordable.  You can buy them here, and many other places.  Check your local art stores too.

PAINT PENS:
My favorite paint pens are Painters Opaque Paint Markers by Elmer's.  I use them on fabric, cardboard, and also to decorate wood toys.  They're non-toxic and have virtually no oder. (Except for the metallic colors, which do smell.)  If you use them on fabric, then blow with a hot hair dryer to set the ink.  It will then be permanent and even withstand washing.  You can buy them here, and many other places.

So there you go.  I'm hoping that some of you will comment to share any favorite tools you've found too.  Now off to make some toys!



(None of these are paid advertisements.)

No comments:

Post a Comment