Monday, April 19, 2010

Chain Link Fence Curtains

I needed "outdoor" curtain hardware for my screen porch that is located right off my kitchen. So I cruised my idea folder & Home Depot.  The hardware had to be rust/moisture resistant and cheap! This is what I got:

BEFORE Right
IMG_0376

AFTER Right
IMG_0430


BEFORE Left
IMG_0375

AFTER Left
IMG_0431

This is how you do it:
Go to the chain link fence section of any hardware store. My closest is Home Depot. Chain link fence post usually come in three widths and three lengths. Decide how & what you need and measure your space.  I bought a tube cutter because I needed a custom length and nothing is ever easy for me! I had to have help holding the fence post in order to cut it.

IMG_0380

I used #4 screw in eye hooks. I pre-drilled a hole slightly smaller that the hook and screwed it into the wall. I then used chain link fencing tension band to hold the rods.

IMG_0383

I then purchased painters drop cloth canvas (9x12). I pre-washed the cloth and should have used an iron. But just like glue guns, I don't use irons.

Now, I got lazy. I should have added grommets or button holes to the cloth but I am working on a budget and time constraints. So I skipped a few steps. I cut small holes in the cloth and used carriage bolts and brace bands for rings. Time will only tell if it holds up :) I finished off the ends of the curtains with fence post caps.

Be sure to check out my inspiration.

So there you have it. An easy way to create ambiance in an outdoor space.

~XOXO~

One more time (before & after):

Picnik collage

No comments:

Post a Comment