Thursday, July 30, 2009

I am Totally Funked!

Did that title get you? Now, get your mind out of the gutter 'cause I'm going to need you!!

This is a little story about my house & guest bathroom. You see, I have moved, a lot. Due to all this moving, I am worn out from home improvement projects. Just as soon as I'd get the drapes hung, we'd move. So with my current house, I did not hang drapes and now we have stayed put for 3 years (go figure).

So, I am ready to start improving my spaces but I have another problem, my house. My house is nice and I am afraid to touch it. This is the first house I have ever lived in that I am totally uninspired (i.e. overwhelmed). I am in a funk. The ceilings are high, the baseboards are tall and the crown molding is stacked. Did I mention the solid 10 ft. doors? They are a beast (but pretty & sound resistant). I feel overwhelmed. It is one of these homes that the simplest of projects turns into a domino effect of other fixes. I am totally funktified and out of my element.

This is where I turn to you...my loyal, talented, awe-inspiring readers. Some of you have remodeled your bathrooms in a snap, others can whip up a design board on Polyvore while you floss your teeth. Help de-funk me.

What would you do?

IMG_2437
This is the Vanity. I thought about finding an old dresser and modifying with a sink. I love square sinks. I am having a hard time finding a dresser that is 30" or less. The sink desperately needs storage and countertop space, a new mirror, plumbing fixture, towel rack and vanity light.

IMG_2435
Flooring...gotta go. This is were I get overwhelmed. I can lay tile but did you see those baseboards? I don't want to have to pop them off. I guess the quarter round will have to come up, then I can lay new quarter round (after I paint it!!)...this is were I take a deep breath and hold it.

IMG_2432
This is a Z shaped bathroom. Behind the door is another door & closet. Should I pull up the pre-fab tub? I want to keep a tub/shower combo in this space. Tile surround would be nice but I am starting to add costs $$. How about a cabinet above the toilet?

IMG_2429
Additional Photo of Vanity area...

IMG_2430
Additional photos of tub & vanity...

IMG_2433
This is shot inside the bathroom with the door closed. The door to the right is the small linen closet.

IMG_2434
Another view...with a large blank wall across from the toilet.

IMG_2436
Ceiling light...lovely, I know. My fear is that if I replace this light then I will have to repair the ceiling and we all know what ceilings look like repaired!!

Please (I am begging) leave me a comment on your ideas. If you have any links I should look at please leave them in a comment. Also, if you are a "professional" and have a design service, leave me a comment about this too. Here are some pictures of "what I like"...

BathroomCollage

By the way, to save money, I can do all the remodel work myself (well, except my drywall technique is something to be desired and I am terrified of a nail gun)! On the topic of money..I'm not sure of my budget. I guess if I like the design/ideas enough, I will pay for it or find a cost effective "look-a-like".

Check this out (after you get done helping me)!

DIY Day @ ASPTL

XOXO-

PS. The Gap Brand's 30% off Sale Starts Tomorrow. Click here for your coupon!

No comments:

Post a Comment