Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gratuitous knitting shots...

...because this week has been a little light on the productivity front. even though i surrounded myself with pretty spring inspiration it's taken me all week to get my head into that zone - so frustrating!

...so due to a lack of pretty spring designs to show off i'm having to wheel out some lovely pics of my cosy red cowl...


...notice the ever so cute little stitch markers in action :)

...this is only my second ever in the round project, so only the second time i've used a circular needle and i've been knitting (intermittently) for at least twenty years! when my mam taught me to knit it was with straight needles with one tucked under my right arm for support. holding the needles like this makes knitting very fast and gives a tight tension, it also helps to keep good old stocking stitch looking nice and even. the first couple of times i tried knitting with dpns (double pointed needles for non-knitting folk) and 4ply yarn my fingers went into spasm - both yarn and needles went flying, not a pretty sight!

...so it wasn't until i discovered ravelry a few months ago, and the cowl group, that i thought i really need to learn how to do this! starting with some lovely chunky alpaca yarn and an equally chunky circular i managed to get it under control and made this, then i moved onto this lovely 4ply...

...although knitting like this is much slower than i'm used to it's far more therapeutic and soothing. just two more christmas present projects to go, then hopefully i can get on and have it finished before the winter really starts!

emma
x

ps - cowls are the new snoods ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment