Friday, February 2, 2007

"Conversations with bird girl" Part I & "Darling You're so Square"

One thing I've noticed is that, although I may have swapped my paint brush for a sewing machine, I still love language. I like the potential in clothes to be more of an art, as opposed to something you just put on. A title takes it to another level.

Maybe this is more personal and evident in the creative process, and not so much something you think of when you reach into your wardrobe... hmmmm, will I wear "Mr Smith Takes Auntie Jackie Out" or "Dorothy Lost the Can of Tomatoes on the Way Home" or will I wear "Conversations with Bird Girl Part I?"

For most people, it's not really like that at all! Who can remember all the titles anyway?! It's more like ' hmmmm, red dress, bird dress, green dress...." Nevertheless, it's the process that matters to me, and so I decided to start a a series of two new projects. Yes, you guessed it... "Conversations with Bird Girl" and "Darling You're So Square". Each is a celebration of different elements. Bird Girl is more whimsical and fairytale like for me, it embodies what I like about folk art, amongst other things, and "Darling You're So Square" is a celebration of garish, and not so garish vintage fabrics made between the 1950's and late 1960's.




No comments:

Post a Comment