Friday, June 2, 2006

10 Out - math card game

Today I told my dd to write down addition facts where the sum is 10 - "Which numbers make ten?" are the words I use with her. While she was writing them and using abacus, this math card came 'popped' to my mind...

I can't claim it as my own, because I have this 'feeling' that I've read about it somewhere, sometime, but since I can't remember when or where, I can't give credit to where credit might be due.

I will just name it "10 Out" - a math card game.

Anyway, this is how it goes:
Take away the 'picture' cards and joker from normal playing cards. Then deal 10 cards to each player; put the rest of the deck in the middle. The goal is to get rid of all cards in your hand.

Find all pairs of cards in your hand that add up to a ten (or single 10's) and discard them. Then you may ask the player left to you for one card, and if she has it, she has to give it to you.

For example, say you have 2, 3, 8, and 1 left in your hand. You ask the person next to you if he has 9 (because 9 and 1 would make ten). He has, and gives it to you. Then you form another ten and discard your 1 and the 9.

Then the next person asks the player to their left for one card, and on around.
You could modify it so that each players just blindly hands one card to the player on their left.

Then, once nobody can discard any more cards, every player takes one card from the deck in the middle, and checks if they can form a sum of ten and discard cards. Again each player will be allowed to ask for one card from their left neighbor, if they want to (or everyone hands one card blindly to the player on their left). Continue until someone wins.

I feel this can easily make kids memorize addition facts with sum 10.

Then, of course, next math lesson it will be time for "9 Out" and "8 Out" and "11 Out" and others!

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment